Art and Design
At Washingwell we believe that art stimulates creativity, imagination and inventiveness. We believe that art gives our pupils the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express responses to ideas and experiences. It fires their imagination. Through art and design, children can experiment, explore, take risks and make mistakes. By using a variety of medium and media, children will develop both physically and emotionally, appreciating the importance of creativity in the world around them.
Our school bases the core work in art and design around the National Curriculum which aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
What does art and design offer children? How does it enhance the curriculum?
- It allows children to explore ideas and record experiences.
- It develops emotional literacy, helping children to express, appreciate, interpret and communicate what they think and feel.
- Supports the development of techniques in drawing, painting, sculpture and other arts and crafts.
- Allows for evaluation and analysis of creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Art improves concentration and can be incorporated into all aspects of the curriculum
What use is it to children in later life?
- Encourages a sense of awe and wonder, and a feeling of fulfilment.
- Improves confidence and presentational skills in all aspect of everyday life.
- Develops social skills.
- Leads to a range of career opportunities in such fields as interior design, fashion, illustration, marketing, media and teaching.
Please click on the relevant link below to see the expectations for your child’s year group in this subject.